29 May 2011

The Complaint Email Against Changi Airport Personnel

Ok, I finally had time to draft and send out my complain email to Changi Airport. Read below:

As usual, sarcasm is my style when I write in for complains.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To whom it may concern:

Dear Sir,

I arrived Singapore from Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (via transit at Hong Kong International Airport) by Cathay Airlines on 21 May 2011 around 8.30pm, Terminal 1.

The baggage arrived late at around 9.15pm and upon receipt of our luggage with my family, we discovered that my luggage was damaged (handle of the luggage had broken and gone missing). As we searched around for an Information Counter inside the immigration area where we could not find, we decided that we will ask the Information Counter outside the Immigration area instead.

I approached the Customer Service officer and she informed that she will call someone to take a look at my luggage. After waiting for about 10 minutes or so, a frail looking old man came out and asked me what the problem with my luggage was. I told him about the damaged luggage and he asked me in a very stern and strict manner while repeatedly questioned me many times about how I'm going to handle my damaged luggage as he saw my family's luggage being placed together with my damaged luggage on the trolley.

I told him repeatedly that I will only bring my damaged luggage with me, and my family will look after the rest of the luggage. And then, he raised his voice, showing his impatient as he feels I did not answer his questions properly. However, I told him I do not understand what he is talking about and my dad who was with me also feels that he was very rude when he talked to me. After checking the necessity of my luggage, the frail looking old man then asks me to follow him.

At the staff entrance/exit area, a Malay immigration officer who was on duty told me to wait, while checking my bag and did a body check on me. After checking, she asks me to wait again, and then she starts to complain to me saying: “you people are like that, never even checked your luggage properly and just walked out of the immigration area, and then you find out your luggage was damaged and now all the inconvenient things comes in.”

I told the lady: “there wasn’t a signboard indicating where to go, so I went to the Information Counter outside to ask.”

The lady replied me: “that’s the problem with you people. The Cathay personnel were there for people to ask, and you should ask around before you go out.”

Seriously when I heard the above, I felt upset and disappointed with the services of Changi Airport. No proper signboard, no Information Counter inside the immigration area, immigration officers are so busy, and worse of all, I do not even know how the Cathay personnel looked like when he/she did not even wear a uniform or a tag, or probably he/she only appears when all the baggage have been collected by all passengers.

As it was my first time having a damaged luggage. I do not always encounter damaged luggage or over-delayed baggage therefore I do not have experienced on who to ask. And she mentioned that I have to ask people around whenever I encountered any troubles within the immigration area. If that is the case, then Changi Airport can remove all the signboards already. What is the signboard for? It is to guide people to reach their destination without the need to ask around. If Changi Airport expects arrival passengers to ask around when they experienced difficulties, then place a proper Information Counter inside the immigration area!

After waiting for about 10 minutes or so, I asked the Malay immigration officer again how long I had to wait. And then came her displeasure again. Her partner later returned back to post and she proceeds to bring me to scan my luggage before bringing me to the baggage department.

Upon advising the baggage department about my damaged luggage as well as informing them that I had told the Cathay personnel in Taiwan that my luggage contains fragile stuffs, the personnel at the baggage department asked where is the fragile tag. Hence I told her it was gone with the handle that went missing.

After filing my information and required details, I was told the repairman will call me up in 2 to 3 days time to collect my luggage for repairs. And I would have thought the repairman will call me on a Monday or Tuesday, if I were to count 2 to 3 days.

However, it was not the case. The repairman called me up the next day, Sunday, 22 May 2011 and gave me 3 missed calls and an SMS during lunch time. At around 12.50pm noon time, the repairman came up to my house and told me off for not answering my mobile phone. Again, I feel the service is really very bad, because it is very rude to tell your customers off when they did not answer the phone. I could have been in the toilet, or bathing or having my meals, and I do not carry my mobile phone on my body 24 hours / 7 days just to wait for your repairman’s phone call.

Your repairman could have waited instead of acting all impatient and came up to my house and collect my luggage for repair without even a proper confirmation that I would be home. If my family and I are not at home, am I gonna be subject to more rude guestures by your repairman? Will your repairman curse and swear at me if he were to come up and found nobody is at home? It makes me cringe when these things happen and I thought of the consequences of nobody being at home.

And after he collected my luggage and before he left, he again strictly instructs me to answer my mobile phone at all times. What does that mean? If I’m at work, attending a meeting or busy with work and unable to answer my mobile phone, do I get a scolding from your repairman again?

I’m so utterly disappointed with Changi Airport’s personnel services which make me so upset and angry. I feel the standard of customer service have dropped tremendously compared to more than 10 years ago. If this is the customer service standard Changi Airport wished to maintain, I believe the standard of customer service is going to drop even more.

If the people at Changi Airport are not happy working at Changi Airport, then asks them to seek other jobs elsewhere instead of showing unhappiness to the passengers at Changi Airport.

A holiday trip that ended with so much angst with Changi Airport is so frustrating, not to mention that it involves a family of 6 whom also feels upset and disappointing. I just hoped that this incident will not happen to me again.

Best regards,
Lim Dengli (Ms)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoped I can receive a response from them.

("x")

No comments:

Post a Comment