10 October 2010

LASIK!!!!

It was a day, 9 October 2010 that I braved through the operation myself, with nobody accompanying me and none of my family came with me...

PRE-LASIK ASSESSMENT ON 25 SEP 2010
I had my pre-Lasik assessment on 25 September 2010... everything went well... my appointment was booked at 1pm and I left the clinic at 3.30pm...

The assessment went like this... first, an optician used a machine to determine your eyesight degree, thereafter, the traditional way of doing the eye test...

Next came a series of questions and then we went to another room for another round of tests... four machines to be exact... with all four doing very similar tests... my eyes have to stay open for at least 5 seconds while doing the tests... cannot blink, cannot move... the four machines are used to determine the eye's shape and size as well as cornea thickness... after finishing the four machine tests, the optician gave me a numbing eye drops and an eye drop which will dilute the eye's pupil for another round of tests for accuracy purposes...

I was thus asked to watch a 15minutes video... by then, my eye pupils would have diluted and I'll be ready to take another tests...

Finally, my doctor, Dr Jovina See came to see me... after looking through the stats and datas of my eyesight tests, I was pronounced ok for the Lasik... she double checked my eyes again... and informed that my corneas thickness were just right...

LASIK OPERATION ON 9 OCT 2010
My operation initially was at 1pm, but was told to come earlier at 12noon... heard a patient was sick and had to postpone her lasik... my heard was thumping faster due to nervousness... all the bad thinkings came... but when I reached the clinic, fear was gone... perhaps due to the soothing music they played in the clinic... waited till 12.30pm before it was my turn... I was led to a locker room and placed all my bag and spectacles there...

Then, I was again led to another room and ask to rest at the arm-chair, the nurses applied eye drops on my eyes to prevent swollen and redden eyes... then, she applied another numbing eye drops on my... while waiting, blood pressure was taken...

About 10 minutes later, I was asked to go to the operating room, took off my slippers, changed into their slippers and gown, nurses wiped clean my eyes and then, Dr See came in and have a final check before making a flap on my eyes...

I was asked to lie down on the operating chair, and they proceeded to make a flap using the machine... halfway through, i was jolted by a machine sound and squeeze my eyes suddenly... after that, I had to ask the nurses to hold my hands to calm me down first while still doing the flaps... after all had been done, I was led to another operating room and lie down on the operating chair again...

Numbing drops were applied numerous times and then, Dr See and her team came in to do the final step... I couldn't breath, I couldn't move, for fear of anything that could go wrong...

Within 1 minute, my right eye was done, after another minute, my left eye was done too... great I thought... didn't feel any discomfort at the moment... only foggy and blurriness... Operation was finished at 2pm sharp, and called my sis Karen to come pick me up...

Had originally told her to come at 2pm, ended up she came out of the house at 2pm, and while waiting for them to pick me up, my eyes turned from can see (with foggy and blurriness) to cannot open at all... tears were rolling non-stop, eyes were sore till I wanted to dig both eyes out and bang my head against whichever wall was available...

My frustration came when I finally cannot even opened my eyes and I had to wait for them... almost 2.40pm and no sign of them... I keep wiping my eyes and keeping them close shut before it was really very uncomfortable... and finally they came, I slept all the way till home, again, popped a sleeping pill, covered my eyes with eye shield and sleep for an hour or so...

Woke up 1 hour later, still couldn't get to sleep, decided to apply the 3 different eye drops
given to me by the clinic... forced my eyes to open and walked to the living room, everything is still foggy to me, but blurriness had subsided... I sat on the sofa till I feel asleep and woke up two hours later... so amazing... I could see more clearly now... great... *v*

The eye-drops and the eye-shields + sleeping pills..


POST-OP DAY 1 REVIEW 10 OCT 2010
Woke up today with clear eyesight... the feeling is good... waving goodbye to my specs now...

Review appointment is in the morning at 9.45am... a guy who had lasik surgery right after me had an earlier lot today... he must have pre-booked all his appointments...

Review was fast, an optician checked my eyesight again and then Dr See re-checked my eye's condition... I was declared 6/6 now... hurray!!!! I was told by Dr See that the fogginess will disappear on its own within these two weeks, together with the redness on my right eye...

Next review is on 16 Oct 2010... =}

No comments:

Post a Comment